DIY Hex Socket for Boxford Quick Change Toolpost

My Boxford lathe came with the original quick change tool post, which is quite hefty and sturdy for a small lathe. I'd been using a spanner to switch between tool holders, but this tends to get in the way. I didn't have a rotary broach so needed to be a bit more creative. I started by turning some round stock to a suitable dimension, marked the centre, then secured it in a hex collet in the mill facing upwards.

The finished project

I found the centre with a small drill bit, then moved the mill in the X axis across half of the measurement across the points of the bolt (minus half the width of the drill bit). Then drilled down around 10mm and turned the hex collet block to the next index, keeping it in the same place in the vice. I did this for all six positions of the hex block, which left me with something that resembled a tiny pepper pot.

 I then used an end mill the same size as the measurement across the flats of the bolt to drill out the middle. There was then a small amount of material to remove with a file before the socket fit the bolt correctly.

To complete the project a simple handle was added with a thread at one end and a knurled surface at the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatic Centre Punch